FAQ for College Day Speakers
Thank you for being a College Day speaker. We couldn't do it without you! As a College Day speaker, you can share your college experiences and make a huge different in the futures of students here in Santa Clara County. Below you will find information to help you prepare for your College Day speaking engagement.
If you need a little help with getting your presentation/speech going, consider answering some of the questions below.
- Why are you (or were you) in college?
- What is your college major, and what does it mean? How did you pick your major?
- What are you currently doing in your career?
- Who encouraged you to go to college?
- How did you pay for college? Was it easy or hard?
- What is your favorite part about college? Tutoring? Friends? Athletics?
- Are you the first one in your family to go to college?
- Did you go to college away from home? How far? Which college?
- Why did you pick that college?
- What was the first day of college like?
- Did you live on campus or stay at home?
- Was it easy to make friends in college?
- Did you have a mentor in college?
- How long did it take you to finish college?
- What was graduation like?
ACTIVITIES TO DO
There are also activities for all grade levels available on the College Day website. You may want to incorporate one or more activities into your college discussion.
GETTING TO YOUR SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
Your teacher will be in touch with you regarding:
- Building and room number
- Sign in at office
- AV equipment information, if needed
- Focus area of speech; for example: Financial Aid, Careers, Athletics, etc. (if necessary)
- Time commitment (50 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.)
If your teacher has not been in touch with you at least 2 weeks before your speaking engagement, please send email to Elizabeth Figueroa at email@example.com.